What helps you to get back on track?
I’m talking about those days when the words won’t come, and then when they do, they’re mind-numbingly dire.
These are my top five inspirations when brain block lands:
- A gently purring cat (preferably one that doesn’t suddenly break off to deposit her breakfast by your feet.)
- A trudge through the woods (preferably muddy)
- Reading someone else’s masterpiece; maybe someone who writes in a different genre to yours so you don’t start to cry/feel too humble/give up completely.
- A nap by the fire. With blanket. And possibly cat.
- Cake. This item could also be substituted for numbers 1-4 if necessary.
So what’s your secret? How do you kick start the writing when your head feels full of soup?